Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lesson 10: Stay in the moment

It's now been a little more than two weeks since Buddy's surgery.  Looking at him, you'd never know that he'd just undergone major surgery taking out his spleen and removing a large malignant growth.  He was weak and guarded in the beginning when he came home.

But as always is the case with Buddy, the day after his surgery he was ready to play ball, beg for toast, smell the backyard for squirrels.  He was ready to get back to living.  I was the one -- I  am the one that has trouble.  I remember that terrible weekend where we almost lost him.  My mind at the oddest moments goes to the future and wonders what time we have left and what is in store in the coming days.

But when I start getting all tied up in things that haven't happened yet and getting lost in the pain of the past, Bud's right next to me.  All I have to do is look down at him, and his tail starts to wag and he looks around for the nearest ball . . . just in case.  His eyes are clear and his spirit is light and loving, and he shares that with me every time he catches my eye.  And once again he rescues me from the "what if's" and brings me back to the "what now."

We learn lessons every day of our lives; and if we're lucky, we recognize the moments they happen and  take note of the miracles that occur during those times.  My life is a journey from here to there, and along the way I've been blessed with many teachers.

But, my boy, Buddy, I think you've taught me the most of all.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment